Travel insurance is a type of insurance meant to cover medical and financial expenses and losses incurred during a trip inside or outside the country. This kind of insurance can be temporary, covering the exact duration of the trip or continuous, intended for a longer period. Usually, the continuous policy will cover an unlimited number of trips per year, while the temporary one only 31 days. With indemnity insurance, the receivers of the insurance policies get reimbursed for their actual economic losses.
But why is it essential that you buy travel insurance and what does it cover? Because while it could take a year to save for your much desired holiday, you could wreck it in just a minute when your trip is canceled, your baggage gets lost or you suffer an accident and need medical assistance. All can be included in the package of your insurance and you will get reimbursed for the damage you suffer. Here are some of the most common reasons for buying travel insurance:
- Medical. The Consulates of various countries register yearly tens of cases of hospitalization, deaths and evacuation of travelers overseas. Besides, some countries might require the full cost of the medical services for uninsured travelers, so any accident or casual disease may interrupt your vacation due to financial reasons.
- Damage to your belongings. You could lose your luggage at the airport or get your belongings stolen on the street. The travel insurance will cover the costs of such losses. Knowing that all your damages will get reimbursed helps giving you a stress-free holiday and relieves your irritation in case these events happen.
- Flight cancellation. There are several inconveniences involved when a flight gets canceled. Thus, you might miss connecting flights and transfers or you may need to spend your night in a strange location. The travel insurance will cover the cost of your hotel and that of changing the flights.
- Weather conditions or unforeseen circumstances. Thus you might need to cancel your holiday, but in case you have insurance, all penalties will be paid back.
- A personal situation. Another reason why travel insurance is necessary to you and to your family is that you might suffer from a severe illness requiring immediate repatriation in some cases or, maybe while you are away, the death of a loved one occurs. In all cases it is good knowing that the insurance covers your trip back to your home country.